Solid Waste/Recycling Division

The Department administers and operates nine landfills. Each landfill requires a separate permit which is subject to review every 5 years. Recent factors which have required such permit revisions include increased development in outlying, rural areas which increase the amount of daily tonnage and increased daily vehicle count. Implementing transfer stations also may trigger permit revisions. The permit process takes a minimum of a year and requires complying with the California Environmental Quality Act as well as concurrence with the Local Enforcement Agency (County Environmental Health), the California Recycle on Solid Waste (CRSW) and the Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB). Public Works Staff provides the environmental documentation and depending upon the complexity of the necessary documentation for re-permitting an outside consultant may provide assistance.

California and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) waste management statutes enacted over the last few years have established some of the toughest standards in the nation for the operation of landfills which handle non-hazardous waste. The California Recycle on Solid Waste (CRSW), the Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCB), local Air Pollution Control Districts, and the Local Enforcement Agencies (LEA) all perform inspections of waste management facilities to ensure that they are being operated in compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations. The Imperial County Public Works Department must assure that each landfill is in compliance with regulatory requirements set forth under California Code of Regulations Title 27 (27CCR), (14 CR), (23 CCR), Chapter 15, Chapter 4 and the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40 (40CFR), Part 258. Which include but is not limited to: permitting, reporting of waste disposal, meet current maintenance of landfills, meet maintenance of closure and post closure requirements.

In efforts to maintain available information and inform the Imperial Valley community regarding the State of California recycling laws, CalRecycles request for each jurisdiction to add Mandatory Commercial Recycling (AB 341) and Mandatory Commercial Organic Recycling (AB 1826) to their city websites.

*Please note that accounts with service of four (4) cubic yards or more of waste are required by the State to recycle (AB 341) and have an organic waste program (AB 1826).

Mandatory Commercial Recycling

With the passage of AB 341 (Chapter 476, Statutes of 2011 [Chesbro, AB 341]). California is one of the first states in the nation to enact a statewide program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by diverting commercial solid waste from landfills.

Under State of California law AB 341, businesses and multi-family housing with 5 or more units are required to arrange for recycling services if any of the following criteria are met:

Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling

In 2014, AB 1826 Chesbro (Chapter 727, Statutes of 2014) was signed into law, requiring businesses, including multi-family housing with 5 or more units, to recycle organic waste based on the amount of waste generated each week.

Organic Waste includes food waste, green waste, landscape and pruning waste, nonhazardous wood waste, and food-soiled paper.

Ways business or multi-family complex can comply with the law:

Business Organic Waste

Food Donation: Donate food to a food bank or other food rescue organization. Source reduction through food donation is an acceptable program and helps fight hunger in the community.

Landscaping services: If you contract with a landscape company, have them take your green waste to a composting/recycling facility.

Multi-family Complex Organic Waste

Landscaping services: If you contract with a landscape company, have them take your green waste to a composting/recycling facility

On-site processing: Through chipping or composting and reuse on-site.

Subscribe to green waste services: Green waste services are expanding to meet the new state requirements. Check to see if this service is now available in your area.

*Note: Multi-family housing units are not required to have food waste diversion program, but must recycle green/landscaping waste.

Establishing Services

You may comply with the AB 341 mandatory commercial requirements by contacting (hauler name and number) to establish recycling services.

Many businesses have reduced their trash bill by diverting a significant amount of recyclables and have been able to reduce the size of their trash container.

Timeline for both Commercial & Multifamily (5+units) property owners