Information on Recording Property Transfers
You have inquired about transferring the title of property from one owner to another. The law prohibits this office from giving legal advice. You may wish to consult with a professional title company or an attorney for assistance in completing your property transfer. The following information explains the process of recording:
- Submit an ORIGINAL document signed and acknowledge before a notary public.
- A preliminary change of ownership report form.
- Payment of fees for recording or documentary transfer tax as explains below.
- $14.00 for the first page, exactly 8-1/2" by 11"
- $3.00 for each additional page exactly 8-1/2" by 11"
Note: A $3.00 penalty fee will apply to each page of a document if any page is not exactly 8-1/2" by 11"
IMPORTANT: for fee purposes the PRELIMINARY CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP FORM IS NOT considered a page
- Payment of documentary transfer tax: Documents that transfer title are subject to payment of Documentary Transfer Tax on the value of the property transferred or on the amount paid for the property being purchased, the payment of the tax is calculated as fallows:
- $0.55 cents for each $500.00 of value for each fraction of $500.00 of the value or the amount paid for the property. Example, if the value or purchase price of the property is $1,000.00 then the Documentary Transfer Tax that must be paid is $1.10.
Documents will be examined and returned for any of the following reasons:
- Any incomplete or unsigned documents
- Documents with insufficient payment of fees
- Documents that do not meet the requirements in the law